Application lifestyle Management is an umbrella nowadays that covers several different disciplines or the sectors, which were traditionally conceptualized to work separately. The process of Application Lifecycle Management in one hand takes care of the project management, requirements management and development of software and on the other hand, it includes the testing, quality assurance and even the customer support and IT service delivery as well.
Application Lifecycle Management
Application Lifecycle Management by virtue of its basis acts as a tool that provides a standardized environment for communication and collaboration between the software development team of a company and the team for test and operations as well. Previously by the waterfall approach of the software development companies, they found it hard to match up the deadlines and suffered from the proneness of cost overruns and several other related issues. After the publication Agile Manifesto, the software development organizations realized that the integration of the two teams namely the development and the operations team could efficiently define the requirements. Salesforce dx is a recognized software used for developing a direct relationship with the customers.
In this process, the collaborated team plans the releases and sprints, tests the product during development and ultimately deploy the latest update in a seamless way. Thus Application Lifecycle Management is a fusing together of the disciplines concerned for all of the aspects of the software development and delivery process.
In the following section, I would discuss the characteristics and functions of an ideal Application Lifecycle Management system.
Characteristics of an Ideal Application Lifecycle Management
- The first characteristic of the system is of the Requirements Management. An Application Management tool helps you to make sense of your requirements and ideally speaking it should be adaptable to your preferred methodology and the processes of yours instead of the other ways.
- The second one is that by the functions of it an Application Lifecycle Management tool may help you to estimate and plan your project typically. And which tool you need depends on the level of planning you require.
- Thirdly, an Application Lifecycle Management tool may provide you with integrated source code management functionality; the tools might ideally help you by offering flexibility to support different branching and merging models.
- An Application Lifecycle Management tool is capable of providing you with at least a test case management that is at the least it helps you to create and manage your test cases in folders with sorting and filtering capabilities.
- In the fifth part, I can mention that most of the tools let you integrate with continuous integration servers.
The Application Lifecycle management tools either carry out a customer support capability or at least can integrate with other help desks. There are also attributes which characterize the tools such as, Project and Portfolio Management, Collaboration and Communication.
Assurance of compliance and Governance
Tan ideal application Lifecycle Management system helps you to track any and every change which may occur across the delivery chain; it also then offers you the assistance of implementing proper control of access but without any sacrifice of visibility.
Improving the Throughput
The agile practice of the tools makes the Developers free to focus on developing better solutions.
Lastly, I would like to conclude by saying that the ideal Application Lifecycle Management tools can adopt continuous integration to improve the code quality and also capable of increasing the consistency and speed by eliminating the wastes caused by annual processes.